FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Europe to Iceland & return on Icelandair (FI)
Old Apr 17, 2004, 7:09 pm
zurbec

I recommend a half day golden circle bus tour, 6 hours or so (the full day tours at 11 hours would be too much time on the bus for me). Gullfoss waterfall, Geysir, Pingvellir Park and the countyside from the bus window is fantastic. You only need a day or 1.5 days to feel like you have seen Reykjavik. Food is all generally good especially the seafood, beware of some of the "american" menu items, nachos might mean Dorritos and melted cheeze. Bring a bottle of wine with you if you enjoy a glass or two in the evening, it is super expensive once in Iceland. If you get bored in Rekyjavik and are pondering a trip to one of the malls advertised on the plane, skip the long trip to Smariland and opt for the closer in Kringlan, although there isn't much you will be tempted to buy because most things are available in the US for less. I don't much care for FI anymore, enough to not bother with a third trip, I will post a separate report on my objections. Overall, the Icelandic people are some of the nicest and most tourist friendly people I have ever met. If you are interested in the late night party crowd, I think it is easier on the way from Europe to the US rather than the US to the Europe because of the jet lag and the beginning of your vacation, also the flights to Europe tend to leave early in the morning, ruling out late night fun the night before (unless you are hard core and stay up all night, which Icelanders will encourage you to do!) Enjoy! oh, highly recommend the Hotel Klopp, great location, helpful staff and a good value.