FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Peru - Departure tax
View Single Post
Old Nov 4, 2016, 7:42 pm
tfreese

Just left Lima

Originally Posted by CompassFollower
Hello all -

I will soon be departing for my first trip to Peru. Will be spending most of my time in Lima. I have received conflicting information about a Peruvian departure fee/tax levied on travelers. I would like to have believed that this fee is built into the airfare I purchased from American Airlines (with flights operated by LAN). I have read the receipt and fine print but have found nothing mentioning a payment for Peruvian fees of any kind. I placed a to call AA and they informed me that this fee was NOT included in airfare and should be paid upon departure at airport. I am told this fee is $31 USD. Does anyone have experience or knowledge of such a fee to be paid at airport versus already pain while ticketing. Also - does anyone know if the fee can be paid in Sols, USD, credit cards? Thanks in advance to anyone with information - and Happy travels to all!
Hi. I just flew from Lima to Buenos Aires on Avianca today. I am a US citizen. Lima was a stopover on my Colombia to BA flight. I left the airport to stay at a hotel, but was only out of the airport about 11 hours. When I started into the migración area for my BA flight they stopped me, after checking my boarding pass, and sent me back to pay the $31 departure fee in cash. They wanted dollars. Luckily I stashed a $100 bill in my bra and was able to pay. So all the forums that say that departure tax has been eliminated are wrong. Likely most US airlines are mandated or do include the tax in the cost of ticket, but my Avianca ticket was issued from Lima.