FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AA: LAX-JFK-MIA-PTY RT $702 in A/J 18.9K EQMs
Old Nov 4, 2016, 2:40 pm
xenole

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
I'm in Panama at present staying at the Crowne Plaza near the airport.

No problem getting the shuttle bus which generally is there or will shortly turn up (girl with a board last time)

Booked an Uber this morning to take he to the canal and 2 drivers accepted my booking but didn't seem to leave the airport after 40 minutes or so. Luckily a third one called Carlos turned up, waited a couple of hours for me at the canal and then took me to the Albrook Mall ($46 for both rides and gave him a few $ as a tip for waiting a bit longer than expected).

Too many tourists at the canal to get perfect shots all the time but well worth the $15 entry fee.

The mall is massive. OK, smaller shops but it makes the biggest shopping centre near me look like a small corner grocery shop!
Needs better air con as rather warm in there although better and drier than outside

Found the bus station and went to get a multi-card for the Metro and buses.
The machines won't let you buy one, only top up, so I had to go to a booth and they wanted to see my passport (were OK with my driver's licence).
$2 for the card.
25 cents cash or off your card if you want to use a toilet in the mall or bus station.

Not sure where the Metro is as there is little in the way of signage, but I assume it's over the bridge in the centre?
Found the Tocumen-Corredor Sur bus around stand E (between the mall and bus station, near the "tigre / tiger" entrance.)
Bus came along around 1:50pm and the journey is an eye opener. Some very poor looking areas en-route that are contrasted by the skyscrapers / Chanel etc. along Balboa Ave. Seems to loop around the Cinco dear Mayo and Balboa areas and it took about 90 mins (heavy traffic but pretty clear on the Corredor Sur.
Bus stops across the road from the hotel and you use the bridge to cross.

Did discover that crossings aren't worth the paint on the road. It's mostly a case of running between cars and hoping for the best!

Added: flying out again today, Saturday, and not sure if it's because it's the weekend and/or the Independence celebrations, but no security queues beyond one person. Roads pretty quiet as well.

Primary security decided my 75ml spray on deodorant had to be confiscated due to it being flammable.
Been through everywhere but today they decided otherwise.

Shuttle from the Crowne Plaza is apparently 24hrs so you don't have to go every half hour if possible.

Last edited by xenole; Nov 5, 2016 at 5:00 am