FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Help planning EWR to Katz's Deli run
View Single Post
Old Nov 1, 2016, 12:33 am
NYTA

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
Originally Posted by binkata
The pastrami was good but not as tender as I had expected, so I prefer my homemade pastrami. The mustard they use was fantastic, but the rye bread was unremarkable. I couldn't taste much caraway over the mustard. The heaping side of mac salad was also good. It wasn't a cheap meal: with a bottle of water, the total came to around $31. (It feeds 2 people, though.)

They have a system where everyone gets a paper ticket walking in, and the people working behind the counter write what you've ordered on it. You must have a ticket to turn in at the cashier on the way out, even if you don't order anything; lost ticket pays $50.

The ticket guy who's Snoop Dogg's doppelganger has a good sense of humor when asked to tell stories about people who resist the ticket system. It makes standing in line listening to him bark instructions to people much more palatable.

As for the Newark Airport Express, it pulled up to the Port Authority Bus Station bay right on time. I bought a ticket through their website on my phone, but a man later showed up to work the little podium they have. He scanned the QR code on my e-ticket and printed out a receipt. I imagine he sells tickets too.

I was the only one on the bus and was taken directly to Terminal C. The seat was very plush--more comfortable than the UA economy seats I'd been in all weekend, for sure.

The last pickup in Manhattan is at the Port Authority Bus Station at 2am. It doesn't pick up from there again until 5am (though it leaves Grand Central at 4:45am). It was a little late picking up from EWR at 5pm, which is why I opted to Uber it.
If yours is better than Katz's then I want the recipe! (Or do an MR to TLV and bring me some).