FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Buying Claro/Movistar SIM from the US?
View Single Post
Old Oct 30, 2016, 8:59 pm
Mike Jacoubowsky

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Update on Flexiroam

Originally Posted by PlatinumScum
FlexiRoam X claims 30 USD per GB. Will probably give them a try on my next international trip.
Flexiroam works! I ordered it, received it 5 days later (shipped from Malaysia I think?). Easy to install. Make sure you buy the initial 1gig package as it's offered at a lower rate ($20) than subsequent purchases ($30 for 1 gig, $ for 3).

You do need to clear out the APN it installs by default ("Pepper" I think?). And remember that it's a bit unusual in that it installs an "app" in your sim setting that needs to be run when you change from home to flexiroam.

But once you get it set up, it's EASY and so nice to not have to swap cards in and out. Speed is usually 3G with little latency, so it's responsive. Sometimes 4G.

In Singapore, you could not tether, but in Australia, no issue. What I don't know is what would happen if you installed it into a laptop simcard dongle.

It's good for one year, and I believe, if you keep feeding it $10 each year for your membership, it stays active. That's really nice. Multiple trips with one card. I'm very impressed so far.

It doesn't work everywhere though. It does list Peru (I'll be testing that in December) but it won't work in Cambodia (very few roam to Cambodia, and those that do are ridiculously expensive... while local sims are apparently widely available and offer dirt-cheap data).

Thanks for the encouragement to give it a try. Looks like a winner!