FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Forced to check roller carry-on with lots of bin space open
Old Oct 27, 2016, 8:41 pm
laxmillenial

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by jonu
Because they had officially checked it and told me I wasn't allowed to bring it on. Yes, I could have just ripped off the tag and boarded, but I was explicitly told by GA, FA, and ramp agent I couldn't. FA later told me they get in big trouble if someone brings on a bag that was checked.
Can someone please clarify? I thought bags weren't tagged as 'checked' until someone scanned it with a scanner and that input it into UA. At gate checked bags, this happens when the bag goes down the metal chute to the plane, right?

So why/how would United even know that the bag is a 'checked bag brought on board'?

FYI: I've boarded last due to going on standby for an earlier flight EWR to BOS, the gate agents have printed me a checked bag in case I needed to give it up at the gate. However, there was space in FC so I just put it in the bin and ripped off the tag. Flight attendants saw me do that and the gate agent said she printed it 'just in case'.