FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Separate award itins; irrops, bag check queries
Old Oct 25, 2016, 8:07 am
emcampbe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by kcKOB
Hi FT,

So my questions / concerns:
1. When I check in at DFW, if checking bags, would I be able to check them all the way through to HND?
2. In the event of irrops, would I be protected for the ORD connection from PNR #1 to PNR #2? Or am I out of luck? Clarifications...
2.a UA metal from DFW to ORD, then ANA metal to HND.... I don't want to get caught between each of them pointing the finger at the other...
2.b I am an idiot and paid the booking fees of around $85 with a debit card. I didn't realize paying the booking fees with a credit card would have triggered the trip protection from the credit card benefits.
As noted earlier, UA should be able to check the bags through - simply have a copy of PNR # 2 itinerary with you when you check in. Don't use the kiosk, as an agent will need to help with this.

In the event of IRROPS, contrary to earlier responses - NO - you are not protected between different PNRs. There is no finger pointing required - if you do not show up at ORD in time to board your NH flight, you'll simply be a no-show. You bought two tickets with two separate destinations, and this is a problem with bookng things separately - there is no protection. Ticket # 1 requires UA to get you to ORD, and that's it. Ticket # 2 requires ANA to get you to HND (and then onward to HAN at the later date). Please note that no one is required to help you in case UA does not get you to ORD on time - they can tell you to buy a new ticket if you want to get to HND.

Don't mean to be harsh - but that is a risk. Yes, paying bookng fees with a credit card with insurance would have helped - but it is too late for that. As an aside, there are many reasons I don't pay for anything with a debit card - a credit card gives you more protection, in general.