FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AA: LAX-JFK-MIA-PTY RT $702 in A/J 18.9K EQMs
Old Oct 24, 2016, 9:55 am
wanderlust4life

Programs: AS 100K, UA 1K, VA Platinum, HA Platinum, QF Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Hoosier1710
My partner and I are finishing up this run tomorrow, including a flight on the 77W from MIA to LAX. I've got to say, if this comes back and time allows it, Panama City is a wonderful place to stay a few days. Even during the rainy season, we loved every minute here. The canal is worth seeing, but the city itself is vibrant and friendly, and full of really delicious, affordable restaurants. Probably would never have visited here were it not for this mileage run, so thanks American (while it lasted...)
Were you on the MIA-PTY flights yesterday? I was on them yesterday but did a quick turn and straight back to MIA. Both flights were turbulent especially the return flight. It was a torrential downpour and lightning upon landing in PTY. Despite the rain, I know what you mean and think Panama and Central America in general are incredible places to explore.

I encountered a considerable delay and moderate to severe turbulence on every single flight on this run and I just cannot wait for it to be over. On three of the segments, there was no inflight service offered due to FAs required to be seated the whole flight. Missed a connection on the outbound transcon so had EXP desk put me on 787 via ORD but then a Y passenger went ill and unconscious on the plane during taxi to runway so plane had to return to gate and delay was 2 hours so then missed connection in ORD. Should have just waited the extra time for the next available nonstop but thought 787 would suffice. On my JFK-MIA flight on 77W in First with the J/Y cabins open to all Y, we were all boarded and ready to close doors and then captain reported a missing plug cover on outside of plane so we had to deplane and flight delayed 3 hours.

No equipment changes. Just a lot of delays either mechanical, pax incident, or weather. All I can say is that no run is similar to the next and it sure is an adventure whether good or bad. You just dont know what will happen next. The EXP line is priceless for rebooking and getting seats held on other flights for misconnects. I never needed to wait in line at a counter when I could simply call from my seat and have it all sorted quickly. I also received compensation, without asking, totaling 10K miles from Customer Relations for two of my delayed flights.

Heading back to LAX today. Paid 15k miles + $175 for the upgrade from J to F. I normally wouldn't waste money to be in a marginally better product in F over J but its been 4 days on this run and any additional comfort even in the slightest is worth it now.