FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Airline Route Mapper tool (windows based)
Old Oct 21, 2016, 8:03 pm
eddieflyer

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by st1575
I am willing to put the .dat files up into GitHub and facilitate crowd-sourced updates, assuming cockpitvisit gives his consent (hopefully via putting the existing stuff explicitly into the public domain or under some other permissive license). My plan would be to incorporate the historical routes into the GitHub history.
It seems like the solution would be to do some code development to enhance OpenFlights to crowdsource data, and dump their own routes.dat to GitHub on a regular basis. The inserts could also be facilitated by some automation/processing on the airlineroute.net RSS feed. Also, someone might also scrape info.flightmapper.net, but it's exact timetables are often wrong (routes are not) and it would probably violate its terms. Seems like it's a fair amount of work, but not intractable, and openflights seems like the right project to build upon. I'm very unimpressed by all these other slow, clunky web tools and don't think anything will come close to AirlineRouteMapper for speed.