FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Curse of Diamond
View Single Post
Old Oct 17, 2016, 6:50 pm
jamesteroh
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by PedroNY
I been a Hilton Diamond since 2008, every year. There are countless times that my family have been upgrade to excellent rooms and suites. In the last 4-5 years, off the top of my head in U.S.: Bentley Miami Beach, Waldorf Astoria NYC (multiple times), Curio Diplomat, FL, San Diego Mission Bay, Hilton at Huntington Beach, Hilton Waikoloa Village, Hilton Hawaiian Village, Hilton Sonoma, AZ, Hilton Washington D.C. In all cases we upgraded to either high end rooms or most of the time to suites, including Presidential Suite at Huntington Beach. As for outside of U.S., upgrades to great rooms or suites in Curacao, Amsterdam, Bali, Niseko Japan, Singapore, Tokyo, Macau, Berlin, Jamaica, etc. Again, great upgrades, lounge access and great treatment.

I honestly don't know why this is the case, maybe it's not a typical FT experience, but Hilton has just been fantastic to us, and to my family. It should be noted, I almost always send an email to the GM and tell them about us coming to his or her property, we have a very warm welcome.

Just my experience. I value Hilton Diamond status, and of course a guaranteed access to Conrad lounges in Asia is just an excellent perk.

Cheers,

PedroNY
The Bentley in Miami and the Washington Hilton used to both treat diamonds great but lately their treatment has gone downhill.

Bentley still gives a nice breakfast benefit to diamonds but that's about it. They used to send up a nice cheese/fruit plate and a bottle of wine with a handwritten note and don't do that anymore. Before they had the resort fee that included beach umbrella and chairs they used to provide that to diamonds and used to provide complimentary cheap champaigne or bottled water. When they started the resort fee they waived it for diamonds and now they charge it on paid stays. Staff is great though and cheap point redemption so that's why I will still stay there on points.

Washington Hilton used to be great too. Before suite upgrades were a benefit they would upgrade me to a suite if available. I never had an issue with a 4 p.m. check out up until a couple years ago and when I would ask they would say no problem since I was a diamond. They use to also give diamonds breakfast buffet coupons. Last stay I didn't even get upgraded to the Exec Level, was told I had to take breakfast in the lounge and what really pissed me off was the lastest checkout they would give me without a charge was 2 p.m. (and I had to fight for that) and they charged me to store my bags. All my future DC business will be going to the Hyatt or SPG where I'm guaranteed a 4 p.m. checkout.

Waldorf in NYC no longer gives the starbucks voucher.