View Single Post
Old Oct 17, 16, 12:24 am
MrBlackYEG

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum
Staying on the 7th floor for the past 3 nights, in the 8th floor tonight. I needed a room on gold with two beds and the only standard gold room with 2 queens is 812.

It's big, the showers are nice (water pressure isn't great but I really prefer a strong shower), nespresso machines in room, nice turndown service, and the lounge food is pretty decent. Had breakfast and canapés every day and I can't complain. I really wish Gold rooms didn't nickel and dime you with the minibar sodas or confectionaries since they are included if you grab some from the lounge. Kind of stupid to have $7 Evians in room when they are providing free bottled water all day long in room. The bose wave II is pretty swank too but while I can figure out how to connect to bluetooth, the average guest would give up.

Didn't use the honour bar but for those who are dishonourable among us it isn't policed at all. I'd consider the alcohols mid tier offerings (Walker Double Black, Grey Goose, Bombay Sapphire, etc). Well stocked with sodas, water, juice, tea/coffee. Outside of breakfast and canapés there are cookies, chips, chocolates, confectionaries (currently they have sour pumpkins which are amazing). Regular lounge deserts are out during canapé hours too.

The concierge staff are friendly for the most part. On Saturday I had a poor experience with the male concierge but I didn't see him upstairs again. He was working the front desk downstairs. It was embarrassing to say the least when I think back about how he spoke down to me. I requested the General Manager's business card and will follow up with his office during the week.

Otherwise I've been thrilled on the Gold floor. Service is superior to the regular hotel and rooms are nicer. New beds too which are way more supportive. Week before last I stayed in 642 and the beds felt like they needed to be thrown out 5 years ago.

Originally Posted by Jasper2009 View Post
Just thought I'd share that the Fairmont Gold floor is now open.

I had a chance to get a tour of the Gold floor and thought I'd share some impressions:

1) the Gold floor is located on the 7th floor and the lounge is located opposite of the elevators (I believe 3-4 rooms were converted into the Gold lounge)
2) the Gold floor only has 33 rooms, so service should be excellent
3) all guests staying in the speciality suites located on the 8th floor get access to the Gold lounge
4) the Gold floor features the usual amenities such as a deluxe continental breakfast (incl. 2-3 hot items each day), evening canapes and an honor bar
5) all the rooms on the Gold floor have been renovated and could be described as "classic elegance" - furniture is new, but at the same time consistent with the 100 year old history of the hotel
6) the layout of the various Gold rooms differs slighty, but all the rooms I saw were spacious and well-appointed with armchairs and/or sofas
7) the bathrooms have been fully refurbished and now have a large, walk-in shower (instead of the bathtub/shower combo); a few rooms also have a soaker bathtub

Overall, it seems like the hotel did a great job with the Gold floor (and I hope to stay there during one of my future stays).