FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Change to Flight Aeroplan Rewards Fees
View Single Post
Old Oct 14, 2016, 11:42 pm
robsaw

Originally Posted by dafonz
Alaska is such a better program. Unfortunately with everything else happening with the competition, I see devals in the future. Not as bad as the Emirates.. but enhancements are on the way.
I'd agree that FF programs are on the downward value slope, particularly for the less than very frequent, frequent-flyer. I think all the legacy carriers, including AC, are starting to view these programs as way too costly as they were originally unveiled and will increasingly analyze the cost-benefit ratio with respect to the loyalty payoff to the bottom-line AND/OR monetize the points program so that revenue to the program from 3rd-parties (credit-cards, etc) and internal fees turns it the FF program into a profit-centre.

Alaska is somewhat unique as they have a relatively long history but a regional focus with multiple partners but not an alliance member. This differentiates them from the US legacies and perhaps causes them to look at customer loyalty from a broader perspective. They haven't yet followed their larger partner AA down the devaluation path but I'd expect there will be some changes as they roll-out their own version of premium economy.