FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New RA qualifying criteria based on IC Revenue
Old Oct 11, 2016, 2:29 am
Land-of-Miles
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by stimpy
Status matching is good marketing, but I'm not sure how well it works in the long run. I get a free comped Hilton Diamond each year but I don't use it unless I really need to stay at a Hilton. Like there are several very well placed airport Hiltons that I stay at when I need to. So they get a bit of revenue from me thanks to the comped card, but I really don't like most of their bland boring hotels. IC's and many Starwood hotels are more interesting to me and give me much more enjoyable stays.
I have also had a comped HH Diamond for the last 5 years (after 11 years of earning it) and my Hilton stays have been pretty minimal but it all depends upon travel patterns.

I now need to regularly visit some UK locations and my Hilton use has increased (because many UK IHG properties are dumps with no meaningful upgrades). I will requalify for Diamond again this year properly (luckily as my BA comp is coming to an end).

I think status matches (and I picked up RA initially and then again some years later after failing once to requalify via the referral scheme) attract a lot of customers who use it for only a year to milk the benefits but it is the 10% that stick which are the target.