FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Some Paid Upgrades Count Towards PQD & mileage bonus and some DON'T!
Old Oct 10, 2016, 1:48 pm
WineCountryUA
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by augiecrazy8
This is an upgrade opportunity within my reservations on the website. When I choose to "manage" my reservations, at the bottom there's an upgrade option. I just booked it this morning and the price is exactly the same so I can upfare and it will probably make more sense. But for future reference it's an interesting conversation... I wonder how many times the upgrade is more expensive for cheaper than the upfare?...
I have seen it both ways and many times very similiar, others very different. Can not see a pattern.

Originally Posted by augiecrazy8
The other thing that makes the upgrade more appealing than the upfare is the fact that the travel was booked by my company, and they won't approve the upfare as they won't allow me to fly business if the trip is under 8 hours (which it is, barely). So I can use a different card for the upgrade.
The upfare can be done with a different credit card. The upgrade fee is non-PQD earning and will not earn the PQM bonus.

Originally Posted by transportprof
If you booked your ticket this morning, my advice is to cancel the booking (no charge if done within 24 hours) and then book a P fare cleanly and separately. That's the only way you'll know for sure that you get the 2x PQM.
Clean upfares of existing tickets are 100% safe for the PQM bonus IME.

Cancel and repurchase is problematic for some corporate reimbursement systems -- IMO best for the OP to avoid.