FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - No nuts for me....due to NRSA allergy
View Single Post
Old Oct 10, 2016, 6:39 am
fastair

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by Michael D
ACAA says each airline is free to make its own peanut policy. What is United's policy?
( http://allergylawproject.com/2015/01...senger-rights/ )

I don't like this NRSA versus 'real' customer debate especially when it comes to safety. It is immaterial except that perhaps the airline should have a protocol for their employees who fly.

If I did have an allergy with which I wasn't comfortable with the person next to me eating my allergen, then I would also be uncomfortable with the person in front, behind, to my other side and the FA walking up the aisle with the allergen in uncover ramekins. I would have also made my situation known to the Gate Attendants and before the flight took off every crew member I met if they weren't proactive and addressed my needs when I took my seat.

It is surprising (sarcasm) that airlines doesn't have an alternative boarding snack for this situation.
/agree with you on all points. I linked UA's policy earlier, it's rather vague. I've boarded plenty of families in advance where they wanted to wipe down the traytable area and other areas around their seats for any possible residue. Once onboard, I don't know what the flight attendants do once notified, it would seem that most of the time, the people notify the crew in advance. In the case of an NRSA who likely wasn't assigned a seat until after boarding had commenced, it becomes a bit more complicated, as it did in the OP's situation. But once onboard, be it ANY passenger, no matter what they paid to sit it the seat, the same safety rules should apply equally. Yes, NRSA get's last meal choice, but they don't need to be the last person off in an evacuation, don't have to turn off their electronic devices earlier, don't have to remain seated when the seatbelt sign is off, they can bring a properly documented emotional support animal on, can request mobility assistance...things for the safety of everyone, including themselves only, apply equally to all.

Last edited by fastair; Oct 10, 2016 at 8:16 am