Old Oct 5, 16, 11:47 am
RobertHanson

Originally Posted by pointspinnacle View Post
I agree in a way. I need 30k to make an even 85k in my account thats why I was waiting and prefer this offer now. I got the 50k a yr or two ago.

I guess if Redcard was still around I would prefer the 50k offer
In that case, absolutely go for the 30K card. Otherwise you will end up 20K miles stranded in your MM account, which won't do you much good.

We just booked LH FC from Frankfurt to Newark, changing in Munich since they wouldn't give out the non-stop to JFK on miles. Three observations:

There is far less availability for a FC award than even a few months ago. We got lucky and only had to book just one day sooner than we would have liked. But there was nothing else open in FC for a week in either direction. Non-stop to NYC was only available in economy and business. And this is booking for next September, so a full 11 months in advance.

While around half of the dates in August thru the end of booking in late Sept had FC availability for 2 seats, almost all of that is for flights departing between 8 and 10 am. Which is pretty useless for anyone who is flying LH FC primarily to be able to use the fantastic LH FRA FC TERMINAL. Getting up very early in order to only have breakfast there, and missing out on the wonderful Filet Mignon in the restaurant, not to mention the plethora of @$200 a bottle whiskies, rums and cognacs at the bar, would be a real shame. Especially since the food in the Terminal is so much better than what they serve on the plane.

The latest flight we could get to EWR is at 14:15. And looking at every day from Aug 1st thru end of Sept booking, only 3 or 4 days had that available. Everything else in FC is early morning.

The combination of taxes and fees are $355 per person !

The website was showing FC award availability FRA-MUC-EWR. But when I tried to book it online I kept getting an error message. It turns out that FRA-MUC does not have a FC, only Y and J. So the website wouldn't book it. I had to call the Miles and More service center. And the number for that on the LH website for "tech support" actually gets you the LH reservations department who can't help at all. After several calls I finally got the correct number for MM, which is 1-800-581-6400. They booked it for me without an additional booking fee, since online booking wasn't an option.

We booked our flights with miles from our second Miles and More card sign up bonuses, plus SPG points. The SPG points were transferred on Sunday, and posted to our MM accounts on Wed morning. The advantage of using SPG points, instead of doing extra spend on our MM cards, is that 20K SPG transfers as 25K miles.

Based on the two points listed above, both the declining availability of FC, and the high cost in $, we will most likely not be getting another MM card.