FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Does anyone voluntarily take NA red-eyes?
Old Oct 4, 2016, 4:00 pm
Jasper2009
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I want to spend the weekend in YYZ.

Option 1: Take Friday off (large monetary cost), which allows full day Saturday and Sunday, optionally with Friday dinner at the expense of waking up super early on Friday for the 7am flight, otherwise the 11am.
Option 2: Take the 7am Saturday morning flight. I have to wake up really early, I get dinner Saturday, and all day Sunday.
Option 3: Take a Friday red-eye, go straight to bed when I land, and I'm good for a late Saturday lunch and the rest of the weekend.

The only way the red-eye works for me is having a few hours of sleep upon landing.

If I had a billion dollars, would I do it? No. But I don't, so I have to weigh my options and choose what works best, which is always the red-eye for a two day weekend, and often the red-eye for a three day weekend.
Good points. I guess the "sleep a few hours upon arrival" strategy works great if you're flying somewhere for the weekend (for leisure).

I could also see myself doing something similar when flying onwards to the Caribbean, e.g. YEG-YYZ-BGI and sleep 2-3h on each flight.