FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Who will be the next oneworld member? + New membership announcements [merged]
Old Oct 1, 2016, 12:28 am
MeltingAlf

Programs: A3 *G, BA OWS, IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by NYCRuss
I think that OW should consider pursuing UK now, even though this is a nascent airline. UK has some exceptional qualities that may not available with other airlines in the future.

UK is owned by Tata Sons Limited (51%) and Singapore Airlines (49%.) As an outsider looking in, that's high quality ownership. Ownership that's well capitalized and looking at the long run. Not IT.

UK seems to have 5-star aspirations. Well run 5-star airlines are rare. They're not there yet, but I wouldn't bet against them. A 5-star airline in the second most populous nation where OW has no member airline? Yes, please.

OW can help UK grow now by helping to feed it traffic. Seems like a win-win to me.

I've read that UK was too premium heavy, but that they adjusted:
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/b...w/50329064.cms

Not sure if they're still too premium heavy.
As someone who has bias in choosing SIA and OW when possible, UK in OW is a pipe dream for me.

I don't think it's a given that UK will be shoehorned into *A even with SIA inside. MI isn't, and SIA is known to be picky with their friends even in *A. I would dare say UK in OW is a logical move for the management in the long run as Vistara grows, both to counter the badly run Air India in *A as well as taking away passengers to an alliance with although less members but less competition as well yet have the feed and market to push continuing short haul. That would be a winner for profits and SIA + Tata probably will not give up a money making opportunity if it ever arises.