FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - British Airways First Class - A380, LAX-LHR
Old Sep 29, 2016, 8:40 am
paul4040

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
British Airways First Class - A380, LAX-LHR

BA First Class gets a lot of (rightful) criticism on FlyerTalk. From concerns about cleanliness to the removal of toilet flowers and the amuse-bouche, there's not often something positive to read about BA F.

But wait! Sometimes it's still really good...

This was my first time at TBIT. I arrived at LAX with a few hours to spare. I was checked in promptly and headed straight to the Qantas Lounge. There's a separate First Class lounge here, which gets rave reviews, so I was curious to check it out.

Wow - this place knocks spots off the BA Concorde Room...I had three of the tastiest dishes I've ever experienced in a lounge. From the salt and pepper squid, to the sirloin steak, to the mascarpone and chocolate waffle, it was absolutely superb. Any experience in the CCR will now feel like a big downgrade...

On board, I was greeted by cabin crew who walked me the whole two yards to my seat - 1A. Ignore the knockers - this is the best seat on the plane. There's nobody across the aisle from you and you get seen to first. I changed into PJs on the ground, in the poky forward lavatory (why oh why can't these be bigger...?).

Takeoff was punctual and we climbed over California when dinner was served. Food was a respectable 7/10. Taste was better than presentation but then I've often found that with BA in all classes of travel. I finished off with a Bailey's nightcap (I don't drink much on crazy itineraries) and had a fine 6 hours sleep. I sleep far, far better in F than in J and woke feeling refreshed and ready for breakfast.

Breakfast was an omelette, preceded by a fruit plate and pastry choice. It was 1500hrs on the ground so I felt a bit strange eating at this time, but that's air travel for you! We flew directly to London and were soon on the ground on a perfect summer afternoon - right on time.

Overall, a very good trip. BA F is not an aspirational product in any sense, but it is still worth the premium over J in my view, even on an overnight flight.

(I've still yet to have a bad experience in 6 flights but you never know what's around the corner...)

Flyertalk rules mean I must point out that my YouTube channel is monetised.