FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept
Old Sep 29, 2016, 3:45 am
GLABA

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
And following on from dsf's link, one interesting point is that to some degree BAEC cardholders have had some protection here, in that on a commercial ticket, even a £40 fare will come with 625 Avios for a Gold cardholder. So to that extent if the Avios were expendable in this form then even the cheapest revenue ticket would generate approx £5 of Buy on Board merchandise. Now this is still taking the Avios away, nothing is "free" here, but BAEC members do have an interesting option.

It's fascinating they went through this thought process. Reworded: the corporate customers will just expense the difference, so a less than visible fare increase. Leisure travellers can dip into their Avios balance, and I bet there will be a few Hilton style promotions rolling from here on.

I'm also in the "it could be worse" category. It does seem a better Buy on Board menu than Ryanair and easyJet, and a much better value menu than IB, EI and VY.
Assuming you're gold and can find a £40 fare! A £40 fare is much easier to find with Easyjet...

I wouldn't be able to expense tonights G&T, when I don't see it possible to maintain status (which I won't next year) then there is no incentive other than the quite nice chair to use BA. The brekkie is a major differentiater for me on my morning domestic flights and tipple is a major differentiater on the way back up.

Tis a shame, but I don't really care, my weekly commute finishes in three weeks