View Single Post
Old Sep 27, 16, 7:28 pm
Gradfly

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AAdvantage, Southwest, HHonors, National
Originally Posted by Mintycat View Post
I'm planning a trip to Tokyo around Christmas time, and I hear it's a pretty magical time of year there, with Christmas lights all over the city, or illuminations as they call it.
I've been to Tokyo both around Christmas and after New Year's. For illuminations, check out the guide at japanguide.com. There seems to be a competition for best illuminations. Went to the ones at Yebisu Garden Place and Caretta Shiodome. Both weren't on my must see list though. Saw the one at Yebisu since I was there for the beer museum and I walked by the Caretta illumination on my way from the Conrad. They're really big with couples.

Originally Posted by Mintycat View Post
What's traveling there in December like? Crowds? And is it especially expensive around that time of year?
I would say it wouldn't be any more expensive. If you're into shopping and want to try your luck, look for the Fukubukuro bags. Its a mystery bag with set prices you buy from dept stores. What you get is totally random and may or may not be worth more than the price you paid.

Last edited by Gradfly; Sep 28, 16 at 2:11 pm