FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Chase Sapphire Reserve (100,000 points, $4,000 spend, 3 months)
Old Sep 25, 2016, 10:23 pm
baroqen

I don't think running out of metal cards was intentional, but it most definitely was NOT a bad move. If it was intentional, then it was quite brilliant on their part and a first for a credit card company.

At no point has running out of metal cards been anything other than a huge publicity bonus for Chase. As mentioned previously, "running out" of things has always increased fervor for that item as in the case of the iPhone each and every year or the toy of the year during Christmas (ie Cabbage Pathc Dolls, Tickle Me Elmo, etc etc). It's peer pressure/mob mentality at it's finest for a marketing exec. Once people know something is so popular it is RUNNING OUT, they rush to get it as well because they don't want to miss out. This stampede has just been more civilized since no one has been trampled to death at Chase branches.

As for getting cheap plastic... Unfortunately, I think most of us here have forgotten that we already know that dissappointed feeling... it's called the Citi Prestige... For all the nice packaging, picking up the card was a major let down. Not only plastic but extremely flimsy plastic. My work ID badge is more substantial... Alas I do love 4th night free and the benefits are still good so I'm keeping it for now and hoping they up their game before my renewal is up.

At least in the case of Chase, the plastic card is temporary!