FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Bumped from Confirmed Suite in Boston
View Single Post
Old Sep 24, 2016, 7:08 pm
pickles1107

Bumped from Confirmed Suite in Boston

We made a 4 night reservation last November (10 months ago!!) for a stay in Boston using 4 free night certificates and applied a suite upgrade to confirm into a one-bedroom suite.
When we travel, the suites are important to us as a family of 4 with two toddlers so that the kids can sleep in one room and mom and dad can still move about, watch TV, carry on a conversation in the next room.
We received an email yesterday (6 days prior to arrival) saying that the suite has had an unfortunate maintenance issue and they need to move us to a Junior Suite.

For reference, the 1-BR suites here are 800-1200 square feet and overlook Copley Square. The Junior suites are 415 sq ft and are interior rooms - no view.

I realize we are "first man out" since we are redeeming certs over a paying customer, but this has big implications on how our family will be able to sleep and operate once we settle in for the night. Not that it matters in this case, but we did a have a 6 night paid stay earlier this year on the Big Island, so we are not a one and done stay at Fairmont just due to the credit card bonus.

As a goodwill gesture they will not pull the suite upgrade cert and have given us access to the Gold Lounge for our stay.
I don't care about the suite upgrade cert as we have no other planned Fairmont stays through March.
The Gold Lounge is a tremendous value proposition as a family of four for breakfast/evening snacks.

I'm trying to balance reasonable expectations knowing that they aren't seeing a single cent from us for the rooms since we are redeeming certs with the fact that they are not delivering on the room type confirmed and what that means for our stay.

I replied to the email asking about connecting rooms.
Would you be pleased with the service recovery offered by the hotel?