FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Involuntary Denied Boarding on Baby's First Flight
Old Sep 23, 2016, 11:16 pm
o mikros

Programs: kayaker
Originally Posted by jljones000
Thanks! I have heard of that Saudi site, but haven't looked at it. So is this the only place that a customer would be able to find the fare construction? United never provided anything comparable to me prior to my flight which is why I'm contending that no enforceable Mem-IAH fare can exist.
I looked into it a bit more and you're right -- United never breaks down the fare. I guess many of us on these boards are used to using tools like ITA matrix that show each fare component. Also, I think that United would typically honor 400% of not just the base fare, but the total you paid for that segment (including taxes and fess).

I did find in the CoC the following definition:
Half Round Trip Fare means 50 percent of a specified or constructed round trip normal or special fare. In the absence of a specified or constructed round trip normal fare, the one way normal fare is considered to be a half round trip normal fare. If a specified or constructed one way special fare may be doubled to establish a round trip special fare, the one way special fare is considered to be a half round trip special fare.
(emphasis mine)

It seems reasonable that they could cite this definition and push for your compensation to be built off half the roundtrip fare. In your example of $320 MEM-IAH-MEM, you should be awarded ($320/2 = $160)*(400%/IDB*2IDBs)*(2 passengers) = $160*16 = $2560.

How much are you asking for?