FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott/Starwood merger closed; FAQs; Status Match; MR & SPG accounts can be linked
Old Sep 23, 2016, 11:25 am
bhrubin
Suspended

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Shareholder
Agree with Horace. Marriott has not "punished" SPG elites, in fact it's been more than generous in matching tiers...possibly pissing off MR elites with the influx of so many newbies from Starwood at the current tiers. As noted by others, MR Gold is pretty much what SPG Platinum is, so that's a real win for SPG Golds who I think come out best among all elites.
Bolding mine.

First, I agree that Marriott has been very fair so far for SPG elites. I also think the 3:1 conversion rate is fair.

Second, I wholly disagree about the "influx of so many SPG newbies" into MR. There are FAR MORE MR Golds and Plats...and far more MR properties at which to earn those status levels. Aside from the fact that one can earn MR Gold by being United Premier Gold+, earn MR Gold by spending on the MR credit card, earn MR Plat by spending on the RC credit card. Earning MR Gold or even Plat isn't exactly as hard as its 50-75 night requirements suggest.

Third, MR Gold is NOWHERE NEAR as good as SPG Platinum. You are out of your mind. SPG Platinum gets guaranteed suite upgrades based on availability that are worth hundreds if not thousands of dollars; MR Golds get lounge access worth a meal or two! There's a reason people are clamoring to be SPG Platinums...and few clamor to be MR Gold. Being MR Gold (and even MR Platinum!) isn't that big a deal, especially when compared to SPG Platinum benefits.

There is a reason that SPG has the most affluent customer base of all the major point currency hotel chains like Marriott, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, and Accor. While everyone in those other chains are freaking out over free breakfast and lounge/club access, far more SPG elites are ordering room service or enjoying free or subsidized breakfast in the restaurant while also enjoying their upgraded suites at higher end hotels.

Last edited by bhrubin; Sep 23, 2016 at 12:22 pm