FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Picking the right beach spot
View Single Post
Old Sep 21, 2016, 12:38 pm
1readyset2go

Programs: SPG, Marriott, United, SWA, AA
Originally Posted by CrazyInteg
Just chiming in since you're wondering why there are so few replies....

Your budget is WAY outside my limits, so I can't comment on basically any of your questions. I'm more of a $20-$30 a night kinda guy.

Last time I was in Phuket was a little over 10 years ago (pre-tsunami), so take my advice with a bucket of salt. I think most of the nightlife stuff you're trying to avoid is mostly centered around Bangla road in Patong.

I know there exist some super fancy resorts on beaches in Phuket. I know some are located dozens of kilometers away from Phuket.

Booking award flights 11 months in advance isn't really necessary (I'm not a OneWorld award user, so maybe I'm wrong) but if the options you want are available, then book them.

I can also tell you that there are direct nonstop flights from Chiang Mai to Phuket and Phuket to Singapore.
That's good to know about the non stops inside Thailand.

As for the other flights, I only have a little experience booking an AA award, but none with OW, all the folks in the AA forum complain a lot about availability for C and F international awards. So that is what my thinking was based on.

Peace and quiet at a 4 or 5* with lovely beach is foremost for this segment of the trip. Second is being able to be close enough to some really nice islands that we could day trip to via speed boat. The JW Mai Khoa and Anantara look like they might fit the bill. I really appreciate everyones feedback. It has been overwhelming a bit trying to wrap my head around all the ins and outs of a very foreign country.