FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Europe to Iceland & return on Icelandair (FI)
Old Apr 10, 2004, 10:49 am
Kiwi Flyer
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
There doesnt seem to be any recent trip reports on FI so here goes. Hope it is of interest and Im not typing all this for nothing.

The keyboard is very bad with most letters worn away and also on a different language setting so apologies in advance if any of ths comes out as gibberish. It is really putting my typing to the test.

While over in Europe I had the chance to visit Iceland. I'd heard all sorts of good things so thought why not. Its far too far to just come here by itself, but since I am in the neighbourhood (so to speak) the extra couple of hours is no problem. Actually to be honest I may have considered coming all the way just to visit Iceland if I could get the miles! No *A operated flights - oh well at least I get a ton of miles from the rest of the trip.

I had booked business due to it being cheaper(!) than economy for the dates I wanted. Any excuse is a good one. My intinerary was

OSL-KEF on FI321 a/c 757-200 dep 1445 arr 1525 duration 2h40m
KEF-CPH on FI212 a/c 757-200 dep 1315 arr 1815 duration 3h00m

Arriving at Oslo airport in good time, I search the board for check-in area. I go across and it is the SAS international check-in area. Absolutely no reference to Icelandair anywhere, not even a ticketing office that I could see. I ask at one of the SAS counters - yes check in here.

That done and quickly through security and on to the SAS lounge. It is quite nice although fairly basic. I can see that at peak times it would be crowded, but as my flight is early afternoon it is almost deserted.

No boarding calls here. At the appropriate time I head to the nearby gate. Boarding has just commenced and it seems to be a free for all. Not too many passengers today. Boarding is through the front door and I look back to see economy barely half full and business had just a few passengers. Wondered why economy ticket was so expensive given how empty the flight is.

The short flight time is similar to trans-tasman so I keep comparing to this.

Pre-flight drink is water or orange juice in a plastic cup. Eventually FA hangs my coat after I ask for it. The seat is comfortable enough for this flight, although I wouldnt want to continue on a longer flight to US on it. Limited recline, footrest is off the seat in front. On this flight I was 1A so no foot rest, although I liked there was an indent in the bulkhead to put a carry on, or in my case my legs! The seat seemed to me to be a poorer version of NZ's - quite old with foam padding, but less pitch, less width, limited adjustment of head rest.

Shortly after take off we get a menu. Economy passengers dont I think, and also have to pay for booze. Here is the business menu.

Cold Plates

A drink of choice and small packet of biscuit thingys.

Mains
Cajun chicken strips and mascarpone cheese with herbs on mixed salad with olives, bacon and vinaigrette dressing

Calamaris marinated in ginger soya, shrimps and salmon on oriental rice salad

Traditional Icelandic roast beef on rye bread with remoulade, fried onions and pickled cucumber

Assorted cheese

Rolls

Desserts
Chocolate mousse

Coffee and tea with cognac and liquers

BEVERAGES
I wont type these out unless anyone especially wants them. There is a selection of spirits, liquers, 2 beers (Egils and Tuborg), champagne (Piper-Heidsieck), wines (including Jacobs Creek sparkling and Shiraz/Cab Sav).

I had the seafood and regretted my choice. It was very bland, and the first tray they gave me was still frozen However the FAs did well to keep the drinks flowing.

No amenities, as you'd expect on such a short flight. IFE was limited to a couple of tv shows on a screen up front (ie not PTV). The flight magazine mentioned personal DVDs in business for the US flights.

Saw another FI (I assume - the sun angle was bad) flight below and just in front of us on the last half an hour or so. The Icelandair schedule is based on many europe flights arriving at once, with the us flights leaving an hour later (and vice versa). BTW I found out why they have the code FI - the fore-runner of Icelandair was Flugfelag Islands hence FI.

Cloud cleared nicely to see the glacier Vatnajokull and [insert name here] on the way in to Reykjavik's international airport at Keflavik. This is about as far as you can get from the city while still being in the same part of Iceland - right at the end of the peninsula. Anyway, we were all too soon landing. While taxiing I looked out for any military aircraft on the other side of the airport but couldnt see any. Our gate was the closest one to the runway so a short taxi. Exit was through the door at front of economy rather than the front door.

With a number of other flights arriving also the airport was busy and our bags took some time to arrive.

Part 2 coming soon!
Part 2

Still the same keyboard so please forgive any mistakes. I have to watch the time for my next flight so be warned if this ends abruptly.

All too soon it was time to return. Wish I could have stayed longer. Oh well, another trip some day.

Check in was fairly slow despite there only being one flight out. Eventually done and through security and off to the duty free. I forgot to mention in the previous post that there was in flight duty free.

That done and off to the lounge. Nice enough, although again not in the same league as some of the Australian or NZ lounges. After a relaxing wait it is time to head to the gate - the monitor says we are boarding. On arriving at the gate there is quite a queue and it is apparent we are not boarding. Sure enough there is soon an announcement that the flight is delayed 50 minutes due to late arrival of the aircraft. While I dont know if the aircraft was later in arriving or not, the passengers were long gone (no one coming the other way when I head out to the gate) and so it seems a long turn around. Anyway it doesnt matter since I dont have any onward connections to catch. Hmm - is there long enough to go back to the lounge? I ask but told no as we may leave early (compared to the delayed time announced that is).

Back to boarding - quite a queue and so the plane is full in economy and 3/4 full in business. Maybe that is why the economy ticket was going to be so much?

FA is better trained and takes my coat immediately. Well almost, offered water or juice first. With the flight being fuller there are more FAs this time, also younger and nicer looking as a bonus.

Pretty much the same as the flight over. I decided to have the beef - much better.

Arriving at CPH I had a scare. Seeing all the FI bags come and go, then another flight and another. No sign of mine. Got that sinking feeling. Decided to check out the oversize bags, even though I know mine isnt, just to put off the inevitable visit to baggage services. Lo & behold it is on one of the other carousels. Must have fallen off somehow - all ends well.

Gotta go now.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Apr 1, 2016 at 4:13 pm