FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA taking "ownership" / "control" of a reservation made by a TA for a ($50) fee?
Old Sep 16, 2016, 5:44 am
emcampbe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jeebus
Just discovered that UA charges $50 for changing/canceling a ticket purchased via OTA. What's the justification for this, given that UA is also charging me $200 for changing/canceling a ticket already? Couldn't this fee be characterized as an anticompetitive practice?

To add to my frustration, the UA agent assisting me said he'd waive the $50 charge, but I ended up getting charged anyway.
If you buy from a TA, including OTAs, they usually charge an additional fee for a change beyond what the ticket states. It's a condition of purchase - Orbitz, Expedia, etc. charges the same, IIRC.

They also 'control' the ticket, UA isn't really supposed to make any changes unless IRROPS on day of - the OTA is supposed to do that. Though it's been a while, there have been reports on here of others noting UA has taken control of the ticket, for a fee. This is one reason I buy tickets directly from the carrier whenever possible (though I realize there are some situations where it isn't - like in buying a multi-carrier ticket sometimes). Not sure if UA keeps the fee, or it goes to the OTA - I suspect the latter.

If you truly think it is anti-competitive, I'm sure there's a way to file a complaint with the competition bureau or Dept. of Justice - good luck with that, though.