FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Best time for ATL-JNB award?
View Single Post
Old Sep 12, 2016, 10:31 pm
flyerCO
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by webmarks
I must be mistaken then - I thought that award tickets were priced per segment?

Any advice for searching VS inventory? It's not coming up at all. Maybe too early?
For US carriers it's never been per segment. It used to be based on regions. Now it's based on origin/destination just like a regular ticket.

For the easiest search of VS inventory pull up virginatlatlantic.com. SimplY enter JFK and JNB and the dates you'd like to search for. Then select Miles for how'd you like to pay. It'll give you a nice easy to use calendar that you can scroll. The days with Purple bars on them have J, red I believe is PE (which I don't think DL can do as an award), and then of course (I think) grey is economy. Once you have those days goto DL and plug in those exact dates and it should show the VS flights.

Note if you do a search on delta.com by 5 week or flexible days it'll default to DL and partners for a search. You then click on a day with low cost tickets and bam nothing shows up or not at the low price. What has happened is for some reason delta's website changes the DL and partner to DL only. Click on the advanced search, change the button to DL and partners with the dates loaded and it'll work. DL knows of this issue but seems to do nothing to fix it. This doesn't apply if you simply enter the dates you want. It only does this when using Delta's calendar/5week search function.