Old Sep 11, 16, 12:23 pm
intuition
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QR PC Platinum, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, SK EB silver, Nordic Choice Platinum, Liberokerho GOLD, SJ Black
I think a low number of posts does not always tell the whole picture. A forum can be home to a lot of members who currently does not have a lot to discuss.

However, to me this (my bolding)
Originally Posted by Prospero View Post
...My observation of the Smoking Lounge is of a few members who swing by, post a recent hotel or airport data point then make a sharp exit. Consequently the forum is only receiving one way traffic which may explain why questions posted by members sit for weeks without a single answer or even a consolatory response.
is indicative of a forum so sparsely inhabited it does not really work.

Now and then I wander off to a remote part of FT, to learn about a destination new to me or prior to flying/staying in an airline/a hotel or the first time. If I can't find the information I'm looking for, I drop a question to the forum, confident of getting good answers. And I can't remember even once being let down - most forums have an answer for me within hours, many within minutes.

While taking part in FT discussions is good fun, educational, invigorating and/or entertaining I think the ability to get expert answers is a kick-posterior function that sets FT above all else. And for that reason I think densely populated forums are better than sparsely.
Just my two cents.