FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Airbnb- mice and cockroaches
View Single Post
Old Sep 8, 2016, 10:59 am
skaya
Suspended

Programs: RIP
Originally Posted by an_asker
I just have a few comments:

- I am still unclear who all was staying from your end. Was it just your two relatives/friends or was it you as well as them all in one booking?

- airbnb is hit and miss. We have used them five times in all now, once in Berlin, once in Paris, three times in Australia. In my experience, one was bad, three were good and one was just outstanding. Besides the things you mentioned (which can make it really bad), it is very dependent on the interaction you have with your hosts.

- when/if you booked for your friends/relatives separately, without even going into the legalese, do spare a thought for the host. What if you were booking on behalf of criminals? How does that impact a host (regardless of whether they approved or not)? Wouldn't airbnb's reputation not be spoiled if criminals were given airbnb accommodation without airbnb being aware of it, and they did some damage? I think that in all fairness, unless your friends/relatives were staying with you (if they were, then all this discussion is moot), they should have created their own account (you could have done it for them!) and shared their contact information with airbnb, and booked their accommodation through their account.

PS: To get a direct line to airbnb (though you would still be on hold for a few minutes), use gethuman.com (google "get a human airbnb")
To clarify and partly repeat. This turned out to be a bachelors flatshare. The host lived there, and some of his flatmates. They had chosen to rent out rooms during this peak period, so they slept themselves whereever there was space, sofa, attic etc. That meant several sleeping rooms were rented out. And with party guests also coming and going only God knows how many stayed there. But I had rented one separate room for my elderly parents without myself staying.

Totally agree that airbnb is hit or miss, probably mostly hit I would say- both as guest and host. We had great interaction in advance, but such pre conversation dont tend to admit that theu have cockroaches and mice in the kitchen. Or any of the other less important flaws for that matter.

As you said I definately spared more than a thought for the host. I myself have outstanding reviews on airbnb, and I asked him if it was ok to book for my parents. That was no problems. They are certainly not criminals, but that problem is not really eliminated by allowing members only. While I could have opened an account for them, I didnt have access to all verification data needed, like their ID, credit card details etc. It was either ask host if it was ok, or skip airbnb. He has clearly allowed it in writing. But no matter if you pay for a service and dont receive it you surely have rights even if booked in the wrong way. Another thing is that if facts were different than my case the host could have declined check in, airbnb could have cancelled the booking etc. But not applicable in this case.

Thanks for the tip on gethuman, as I eventually got a number for my country, but still they couldnt find any person speaking this countrys language, despite website and other data are in our language.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Were the two elderly people aware that they would be sharing facilities with so many people who are strangers to them? I wouldn't expect them to plan to prepare most of their meals in a kitchen used by so many strangers.

BTW, did they have a private en suite toilet and shower or bathtub?
No, there was no indication how many they would share with. I dont think this is listed unless the host specifically writes it. The posting clearly highlighted kitchen facilities, so yes they clearly planned to eat there, which turned out impossible and unsafe.

No private bath/WC, but this was listed as shared.

A well travelled guest stated clearly he did not believe people lived this bad in Europe .

I found a review of the host being a guest himself, where host wrote that he had .... in the bed and all over the toilet. I guess people have different standards.

Last edited by EmailKid; Sep 8, 2016 at 12:21 pm Reason: Back to back posts