FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New eUpgrade Requirements! Co-pay for lower flex fares
Old Sep 7, 2016, 5:40 am
grandgourmand

Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
Ok, what am I missing here? J class to Pudong is $3500 RT.
The cheapest fare to upgrade is $820 + 26 credits + $850 CAD (taxes incl.)
That's $1670 plus the credits, right? OK. so please explain why you think that a Tango fare customer is going to be able to easily upgrade
You are aware that on the longhaul routes, the load factory is rather high? There is an ongoing issue of overbooking.
Then there are going to be the aeropoint addicts who will want their full points and will fly in flex and will also assume that they will stand a better chance of an upgrade. However, more likely will be the folks in PE looking to upgrade and they will occupy a higher part of the pecking order.

I appreciate that you like living life on the edge, an adventurer, willing to try new things like red tortilla chips vs yellow, or wearing those odd fitting boxer briefs from HM which I can't wear because I am too fat and too old. However, it seems to me that it is very, unlikely you will score the upgrade from a Tango fare. In plane language you are deluded. (Yes, I know it should be plain, but this is an air travel forum and I am trying to show off my grasp of language, and offer a witty pun, which I shouldn't have to explain, but I just know someone will notice). Of course, I could be wrong. It wouldn't be the first time, but I just think you are setting yourself up for heartbreak. Unless you have an ability to charm the system. Everyone's going to be upgrading, so it's going to be difficult to get one. What am I missing?
Just to play devil's advocate...maybe load factors will decline due to intensification of competition. The recent sales on DL and AA to PEK and PVG in J for sub$3k (I think well under) are one example of this challenge to AC. The other indication is that, as you point out, AC is offering this fare for ~$3500 in J which is rather cheap, if you can call it that. Third is that they are offering the eupgrade from the cheap class fares, period. Why else would they make upgrades more accessible on their aeroplain?

Here'a another question, though...is that co-pay example from YVR-YYZ for $400 a good deal? Seems to me that you could upgrade from flex when checking in for a similar price, with no eups.