FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Huasteca Potosina, the most beautiful part of Mexico foreigners don't know about
Old Sep 6, 2016, 11:44 pm
slickvik

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select
Originally Posted by JDiver
Great article! The only other Americans I know of who are familiar with thd Huasteca Potosina are my good friend Jim, who spent some time there during a road trip (and ran into the original American orchid collector and smuggler there) and "Mexico" Mike Nelson, the peripatetic road warrior who used to write the excellent Mexico road logs for Sanborn's insurance.

Tamazunchale, SLP, was better known prior to thd "new, improved" road to the US. And Tampico is a great place to stay away from these days because it is HQ for the CDG (Gulf Cartel) and a battleground in their fight with the feared Zetas drug cartel.

San Luís Potosí has some colonial charm as well.
I was told when I was there that many Canadians drive RV's to this area annually. Also, a new road is being built from valles to tamazunchale as well as valles to Tampico. Both should be done next year.