FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A Collection of the Most Useful and Interesting MilesBuzz Threads
Old Apr 7, 2004, 6:23 pm
gleff
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
A Collection of the Most Useful and Interesting MilesBuzz Threads

I thought I would put together a list of some of the most useful or interesting MilesBuzz threads. I welcome additions and thoughts.

Useful tips

The Status Match Master Thread - a discussion of which airlines comp status based on existing elite credentials with a competing carrier, along with carrier-specific instructions on how to submit a status match request.

The Hotel Status Match Master Thread.

The "What Credit Card Should I Choose?" Master Thread

Online Banking for Miles - a discussion of different banking institutions that provide miles as a checking account incentive. This is distinguished from investment accounts like Fidelity, Ameritrade, etc. which also may provide miles for opening accounts. See also Miles for Banking.

Does CO-->Amtrak-->UA Really Work?, a discussing of laundering points out of Continental and into United without any devaluation. <Dead> It's no longer possible to transfer Amtrak points to United.

Handling Miles in a Divorce

Miles for Insurance Policies

Lifetime Status

Cell Phones and Miles

Best Current Long Distance Deals/Bonuses for Miles

Buzz-worthy Discussions

The Best Awards/Rewards of All Time

Anyone acutally been caught by airline selling/bartering/trading an award?

The Coming Devaluation of Frequent Flyer Miles

What's the Best Airline Award Remaining?. See also What is the world's worst FF award?

Why Frequent Flyer Programs Make Sense -- And Gutting Benefits Does Not

Best/Worst Big 6 Programs for Low Yield Flyers

Best Credit Cards

Classic Offers (No Longer Active, But Worth Preserving)

Pudding Guy's extreme success with the Healthy Choice-American Airlines promotion not only earned him over a million miles, it also brought him fame beyond that of any other frequent flyer. Not only was he all over the news, but he was immortalized in film. It was so improbable that it warranted verification from Snopes.com. Some discussions of the offer itself can be found here, here, and here.

I haven't yet found the classic post Forget Latin Pass - lets have a BAHT PASS run. Become a UA "1K" for $750 in 10 days! but a search of Google finds several of the pages of the thread, and you read the contents of the threads via Google's cache of each page.

The Goldpoints/Valumags offer allowed the purchase of unlimited miles in a variety of airline programs for less than one cent apiece. See goldpoints - fly the concorde for $1111 for a representative sample of discussion.

The KLM Match: offered to match not just elite status but account balances as well.

Test Drive a Jaguar, Fly to Europe

In the Spring of 2002, Randy was offering some amazing bonuses for subscribing to Inside Flyer magazine. Some savvy Flyertalkers realized that it was an opportunity to Fly the concorde JFK-LHR for $1259 courtesy of Randy.

LatinPass, 1,000,000 bonus miles (An offer Dr. Evil could not resist! One meelyun miles!) and LatinPass: Who's Really Going?

Last edited by gleff; Jan 21, 2006 at 7:20 am