FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Cars at HNL
Thread: Cars at HNL
View Single Post
Old Sep 1, 2016, 12:11 am
qs933

Programs: National Exec, HA Pualani Gold
Originally Posted by Dm3k1
I'm sorry, a little confused. But why book higher than mid-size if either way you can choose from the cars in the emerald and exec spots- are some "off limits?" (I'm a em exec). Never booked at HNL before not sure how it works.
If you're Exec, shouldn't be any different from any other Emerald Booth location. I usually book a full size (paying the ICAR rate) or a premium (paying the FCAR rate). I guess I could book an ICAR or SCAR, but when I've tried it, I haven't seen any difference in the rate vs. booking a full size.

With a full size reservation, I've been able to choose from either the emerald or exec slots. With a premium reservation, I've been able to choose from the premium cars they hold to the side of the booth (not in Emerald or exec), or any car in the Emerald or Exec stalls.

The only advantage I can see of a premium reservation is that it means you can ask for (and expect) a premium vehicle. If you book a midsize or full size car, it's up to the luck of the aisle -- if there are no premium cars parked there, you are out of luck (unless you ask nicely and the agent is willing).

For example: I picked up a 1-day rental on Tuesday at HNL. I booked a premium.

In the Emerald Aisle section:
- multiple Jeep Patriots
- multiple Jeep Compasses
- 2x Altima S
- 1x Camry LE

In the Exec section:
- 2x Jeep Cherokee Limited
- Nissan Rogue S
- 2017 Ford Escape
- 1x Dodge Challenger
- 1x Chevy Camaro
- 2x Jeep Wrangler 4dr
- 1x Jeep Compass
- 2016 Nissan Maxima S

With my premium reservation, they offered a Ford Taurus Limited parked to the side of the booth. I was also offered the Maxima in the Exec section. I wanted to drive a the redesigned Maxima, so that's what I took.

Yes, I probably could have saved a couple of bucks with a full-size (or mid size) reservation since I picked from the Exec section, but I haven't really worried about it.