FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Travelling with a Baby
View Single Post
Old Aug 30, 2016, 7:56 pm
daoople

Programs: Krisflyer
Travelling with a Baby

Hi everyone,

I have a question regarding full service airlines vs LCCs.

We have a 1 year old and are flying HKG-TYO (3hrs in, 5 hrs back) this is part of a larger trip we have planned. The TYO leg is late Dec 2016 returning early Jan 2017.

My wife and I are debating whether to fly an LCC (Vanilla/Peach/HK Express), which for 3 of us would be about $950AUD return to HKG. If we book ANA/JAL/CX, the prices start at about double. I've kept an eye out for any sale fares, but nothing doing at the moment.

Our question is this:
When flying with a child under 2, what differences are there between an LCC Vs the full service airline for a 5hrs flight? Specifically with respect to:
- Short delays (delays under 12hrs)
- Long delays (over 12hrs)
- In flight service/experience
- Any other considerations? Not so concerned about baggage, but more about how we will be looked after in the event things don't go swimmingly. If things go exactly to plan, I would expect the LCC is the best choice (or is it?).

We will have travel insurance, to cover us if something exceptional happens. But we're debating whether it's worth paying an *extra* $1000 for the round trip. I know the intuitive answer is probably not, but I'd like to know what is the difference?

Has anyone flown any of the above airlines with a child/infant? How did you find it?

Thanks all!