FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Advice please re booking J open jaw-ish reward ticket
Old Aug 30, 2016, 5:30 pm
TimMinYYZ

Programs: AC*50K
Advice please re booking J open jaw-ish reward ticket

Hi folks,

I used to fly a lot. In the past couple of years, not so much. I'm rusty on some of the tricks of the trade. I'd appreciate any tips.

Two of us to travel YYZ-CDG and return BCN-YYZ, just over a year from now. We want J and have enough points. We're willing to connect on either leg if necessary (especially the return, to avoid having to take Rouge). We have some limited flexibility on dates on both ends. I've been doing some preliminary browsing and have a few questions:

1. What can I expect in terms of AC or LH releasing seats? Should I be jumping on what I can find at the 356-day point or is there something to be said for being patient and checking daily for a few months?

2. If the answer to #1 is to book ASAP, then.... if I remember correctly, it used to be the case that you couldn't book one-way reward travel without spending the full round-trip points amount. It appears to me now that you can book two one-way tickets without any problem or disadvantage. Correct, or am I missing something?

3. One option for the outbound will be to fly LOT and connect in WAW. I've never flown LOT and wouldn't be inclined to experiment except that doing so would save hundred$ in scamcharges. Online reviews of LOT J seem to be mixed. Any thoughts?

4. Anything else I should have asked?

Many thanks in advance!