FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]
Old Aug 30, 2016, 12:18 pm
skunker

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by mikex163
You are really not up to par with the current status of credit cards offers.
The CSR cannot be churned, at least not in the traditional sense. You have to wait 24 months before getting a new bonus. And to get that bonus you can't have had more than 5 cards in the last 2 years. Not exactly churning material (I wish it was, I wouldn't mind getting one every 6 months!).

I don't see how the Hyatt CC is over-hyped. For $1000 spend you get 2 nights at almost every Hyatt out there. I got two nights at the Park Hyatt NYC that were selling at $1200 each (no, I would not have stayed there if it wasn't for the certificates, but I was going to NYC anyway, and would have spent $200 or so per night at least). Even if I had used at an hotel that cost $100 per night, it would have given me a 20% return. Not too shabby.

What do I care if other cards offer PP as well? I care that my main card (the CSP), now has a "better version" (CSR) that offers better rewards. But, overall, I don't give a damn about lounge access, unless in a long layover, which I try to avoid anyway, so the marginal value of PP access is close to zero for me, I'm keeping the CSR for the extra earnings on travel/dining vs. $55 increase in annual fee; having PP access and better travel insurance (6h until it kicks in instead of 12) is just a bonus. Like me, there are many others; some value PP access some don't.

And yes, I'm a churner as much as I can (not as much lately, unfortunately, almost half of those 20 cards were Citi's non-AF Hilton, which was a card that truly could be churned, 2 cards every 65 days, not one card every 2 years like the CSR). If that was an attempt at an insult, I think you won't find many folks here at FT that will be insulted by being called churners.
I think you are missing the point of my posts. I said the people that are excited about the card are churners, you are a churner and are excited by it.

Go to /r/churning for a megathread about the card and detailed wiki.

All the cards that I mentioned were (and still somewhat are) darlings of the blogger community at some point. Of course the Hyatt CC isn't hyped much now, but when it came out it was pumped constantly, same with the 100k Citi Exec and CSP.

The point is that just because a card becomes the blog darling du jour doesn't necessarily mean its a good card.

And, finally, the AMEX platinum offers these benefits

With your Platinum Card® enjoy complimentary access to over 900 airport lounges across 120 countries, including The Centurion® lounge network‡, the International American Express lounges‡, Delta Sky Clubs®‡, and Airspace Lounges‡. You can also enroll in Priority Pass™ Select*‡, on us.