FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - issues with Hyatt gift card
View Single Post
Old Aug 23, 2016, 10:13 pm
SportsTech

Programs: UA MM/1K, SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, Natl Exec Elite
Originally Posted by seawolf
There are two kind of risks here....

IMO Hyatt should only replace value lost due to 2.) and only if the card was purchased directly from Hyatt (or Hyatt authorized channels). Reports in this thread indicate Hyatt is doing just that.
I completely agree - but note that my earlier post proves online commercial resellers are effectively "Hyatt authorized channels". [I doubt that any individual eBay giftcard sellers have a direct reseller relationship with Hyatt, but that's conjecture on my part; perhaps some do?]

When I bought my Hyatt card from Cardcash, they had hundreds of each price category - WAY more than their normal secondary market-maker inventory. I'd bet another $500 that CardCash bought them direct from Hyatt. But Hyatt - which certainly knows who they sold my card to/through - isn't standing behind their reseller here, and they aren't giving me or anyone else who bought a card through a reseller - even one they authorized - a way to prove that the card was purchased legitimately. Did I miss a post earlier where Hyatt is reported to have taken care of a drained card purchased through an authorized reseller? If not, I submit that Hyatt is not taking appropriate responsibility for the damages from their defective card numbering system.