View Single Post
Old Aug 23, 16, 10:03 pm
seawolf
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT
Originally Posted by SportsTech View Post
My point is that Hyatt is responsible for the integrity of gift card balances until redeemed by the purchaser, whether the card is physical or an eCard. If you buy a retail gift card at Stop & Shop or Ralphs, the card itself is the currency, not the # on the card. I have ordered eCards online as gifts for other people and not one of them - except, of course, for my Hyatt cards - has ever been compromised.
There are two kind of risks here.

1.) Risks inherent to secondary market. This exist regardless of whether we are dealing with Hyatt, Disney, Starbucks, Walgreen's etc gift cards. The issuer has zero responsibility for replacing such a card and is accepted practice reflecting in the secondary marketplace offering guarantees provided by resellers such as card cash/raise/gift card spread etc.

2.) Risk of getting gift card drained due to compromised number. This is specific to Hyatt.

IMO Hyatt should only replace value lost due to 2.) and only if the card was purchased directly from Hyatt (or Hyatt authorized channels). Reports in this thread indicate Hyatt is doing just that.