FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - issues with Hyatt gift card
View Single Post
Old Aug 23, 2016, 4:45 pm
SportsTech

Programs: UA MM/1K, SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, Natl Exec Elite
Hyatt should take responsiblity

I agree with Mary2E, there's a fairly simple audit trail for almost anyone who paid for a card that was drained. I still have the PDF for the cards I bought from Cardcash, and a Paypal receipt to prove I paid for them. And I have (Hyatt) Visa card receipts for every Hyatt stay between the time I bought the electronic gift cards and the time I tried to use them. So I can prove that I bought the card, and I can prove that I didn't use it. Someone else did, and Hyatt can easily find out who it was; what they do about it I don't need to know - but I hope they (Hyatt) follow through and bust somebody, and they should make me whole regardless.

More to the point of this post's title - I bought my first set of these cards on eBay after Hyatt confirmed - in this forum - that the eBay seller was legitimate and that Hyatt sometimes sold these cards to resellers. I would never have purchased a card from a private individual on eBay, but a legitimate reseller? Sure, since hyatt told me it was ok:

Originally Posted by ToddHyattGoldPassport
Greetings FT'ers - The discounted Hyatt Gift Cards being offered on eBay is a legitimate offering. Throughout the year we have various promotions and offers for our cards in various places. This is a promotion in partnership with the seller on eBay. Purchases made through this offering are between the buyer (you) and seller (svmgiftcards) on eBay. The terms and conditions of the Hyatt Gift Card sold do not differ from Hyatt Gift Cards sold through any other means.

Todd Tomlin
Director - Hyatt Gift Cards
Here's the thread this quote came from.

Small Claims would never find in favor of the eBay buyer when the seller proves - via Kalboz' first post in this forum - that the cards had the balance they were supposed to have when Kalboz first got them,

In my opinion, this is a lot better class action suit than Small Claims action; I think a good attorney could prove, with a bit of discovery, that Hyatt sold Cardcash the remaining balance of the gift card inventory at a huge discount knowing that some of CardCash's customers would experience fraud, and I'm further guessing that they promised to reimburse CardCash for claims that occurred within CardCash's 45 day refund window - giving Hyatt a way to get out of the business and essentially paying CardCash to take the heat from anyone like me who was dumb enough to buy a card that I didn't use within 45 days. CardCash has to have known about the fraud issue before they got into bed with Hyatt, it's all over the 'net, and I bet there's correspondence somewhere that proves Hyatt would make good any of CardCash's losses.

Very sleazy behavior on Hyatt's part, and I'm sorry I (and Kalboz, and anyone else who bought these cards in good faith and got ripped off) ever listened to Hyatt's representation that the deals/dealers were legit. And I'm outraged that Hyatt hasn't taken any responsibility for the mess I believe they knowingly created.