FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Citi AA Plat/Gold/Bus cards. August 2016: 1 personal & 1 business bonus/24 months.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 8:25 pm
sdsearch
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum
Under the "non-family" 24-month language, closing a Visa has no bearing on getting the bonus on an MC.

Here we see the downside of rolling over into a new thread when a major change occurs -- sometimes info in the old thread (still linked in the current wiki) is still useful. It has complaints from people that their Visa was auto-converted, because they would have preferred to cancel the Visa then apply for the MC to get the bonus, and now they can't get it. I suspect they're right, but I don't know whether anyone's actually confirmed it. You're welcome to give it a try, or -- assuming the conversion in 1 was to an MC Platinum -- apply for an MC Gold or Executive which works under the current language.

I believe that converting an AA card to something else counts as a closing. But see Visa-closing note above.
Furthermore, we don't know yet how exactly Citi will count families. Ie, how far back will they go for products that no longer exist? Will there be a "loophole" for Visas and/or Amexes simply because they forgot to include the Visa and/or Amex on the list of AA personal cards (inside their system)? Or will they be thorough and put in all cards that existed 2 years ago (even if they stopped issuing them more than 2 years ago)?

I can envision some sloppy coding resulting in a loophole for some old type of personal card, roughly similar to the way sloppy coding is what presumably resulted in the W->WE loophole of the semi-recent past. Though since this is Citi-wide change, such a loophole, if it occurs, might occur only for AA, or only for TYP, etc.

Last edited by sdsearch; Aug 22, 2016 at 8:30 pm