FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Citi AA Plat/Gold/Bus cards. August 2016: 1 personal & 1 business bonus/24 months.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 5:55 pm
peabody

Data Point and Question

Originally Posted by beltway
The only thing that's new in August--whether it started August 11 or doesn't take effect until August 28--is the card-family restriction. Citi's (near-)blanket policy has had a 24-mo restriction in it for some time.

Even if you credit what DoC says (and we do have supporting data points), my personal approach would be
  • assume that the worst policy of those seen on landing/app/T&C applies; and
  • assume that any 24-mo/card-family clause imposes a 24-mo same-card-open/close restriction from now until the 28th.

I am a pessimist. YMMV.
I closed a AAdvantage Platinum MasterCard 18 months ago. About three weeks ago, I applied using a 50k bonus mailer without the 24 month restriction which was sent to a family member with a same last name but different address. I got a pending notice, and couldn't get approved by phone. Was told to wait a week, and was approved around last week. Since then, I found a 40k bonus mailer that is in my name and which expires next month. I would like to use this mailer once more.

Here are my questions

1. Do I understand correctly that the new family-card restrictions do not apply to mailers that do not have the 24 month restriction? That is to say, would it matter whether my use of the 40k mailer (which does not have the 24 month restriction) occurred before or after August 28?

2. Are there any data points concerning the success of mailer applications that occur within the same month? I am aware of the 2 applications within 65 day rule. And even if I apply now, I would be within that rule. My question is whether my chances of approval for my second AAdvantage Platinum card using a mailer would be greater if I waited until next month. My last approval using the mailer for the same card happened about a week ago. I am wary of applying now given that my last application was not an auto approval. My FICO score is high 700s.

Thanks.