Old Aug 21, 16, 10:10 am
jediwho

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, DL Diamond, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by penner42 View Post
TY points (as of next summer) will be worth only 1.25c each vs 1.5c with the CSR. I find Chase's transfer partners (mostly United and Hyatt) infinitely more useful than Citi's. About the only Citi transfer I can see using is if I ever want to go to Germany, for SQ Suites.

Crystal is not available for everyone. If you already have it, good for you! It's hard to get.

4th night free is a real benefit. The points, as I said above, are not worth as much. Caveat here: I find most of my lengthy hotel stays are on points. Once the 4th night free changes go into effect so it's the average cost and doesn't include taxes, you can get close in other ways. If I'm not using points on the stay, it's likely because it's not a chain, so in that case I don't mind not getting status/benefits/points from the hotel stay. So I can use hotels.com through TopCashBack. I get essentially 10% with the stay 10/get 1 free from hotels.com rewards, and TopCashBack is currently at 7% and has been as high as 10%. So that's 17-20% back on the pre-tax hotel cost. Almost as good as 4th night free for a 4 night stay. Possibly better than 4th night free if the stay is longer than 4 nights.

I'd love these benefits, but again, card is hard to get. Also there's no signup bonus now, right? So you'd have a hard pull and delaying getting another Chase card if you're near 5/24.

I already have the Prestige. It will likely disappear in favor of keeping the CSR when my annual fee comes due in April. (It may not, I may keep both.)

But it's not $150 I have to justify. I need to keep at least one premium Chase card so I can transfer my points. So I only need to justify $55, the difference between an Ink/CSP and the CSR. And $55 is pretty easy.
I am not too worried about the 1.25 cents as I transfer most of my points. Also, I will be surprised if we don't see AA being added as a transfer partner in the next six months after the recent Citi/Barclays/AA credit card deals. Right now, Citi's TY program is the only one where it does not have it's flagship carrier as a transfer partner. Even if this does not happen, they have SQ and FlyingBlue, which are good for me.

I agree on the fourth night. I also usually use points for hotels, FHR or Rocketmiles is next, followed by Amex offers, followed by ebay/hotel gift cards. All my hotel expenses goes on respective hotel cards.

When I signed up for Crystal, it did not have the bonus, but the first year was free. But here's a link from a DOC's recent piece that says they are now offering 50K sign up: https://www.rbcwm-usa.com/resources/file-862410.pdf

Of course, the sign up is meaningless since we are talking whether CSR is a card to keep in YR2....I think almost everyone would agree it is well worth getting it in YR1 with a 100K sign up bonus.

I think the combo, if one could get is Prestige and Crystal.