FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Crew unable to offer bassinet in NF on a 747?
Old Aug 19, 2016, 4:50 am
747_not_777

Programs: BA Gold
That's really interesting to know - thank you for confirming so.

I was just amazed to be told by the crew that there wasn't a bassinet position on a 744, and then when I pointed it out and showed them the fixings, to be told they'd never been trained how to use it and their on-board manual made no reference to it... As an aside, it was a Mixed Fleet crew.

There was a spare seat in the cabin, at 5K, which they said we could put my daughter in to sleep. All very well, but a 9-month old in a lie-flat First seat isn't particularly safe. We put her in it, but she slipped her legs out of the seatbelt in no time and so my wife had to watch her constantly from 5F to ensure she wasn't about to roll out and onto the floor. Plus, we were told each time the seat-belt sign came on mid-flight (which it did), she needed to be picked up and put on my wife's lap, with the infant belt, again. Which woke her, and made things really difficult. So all in all, it didn't make for a relaxing flight for us nor the other passengers - despite our best efforts and intentions.

We appreciate flying with a baby is never going to be a doddle, but in the F cabin, you expect to have simple things like access to the bassinet which you've selected on purpose.

Suffice to say we were more than a little disappointed.