FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How can Wyndham have both the best value AND the worst rooms in the same city??
Old Aug 19, 2016, 1:59 am
magnicus

Programs: Southwest, American, HHonors Diamond, IHG Gold, BW Diamond, Choice Platinum, SPG, Wyndham Gold
How can Wyndham have both the best value AND the worst rooms in the same city??

Wyndham frustrates the crap out of me. Now on one hand, I travel to mostly the same places 75% of the year. So, I've learned where to stay and where not to, to some extent. But if you DIDN'T know that, or when I'm staying in a new town, I don't know either, it gets hard to figure out where is a decent place to stay. Reviews do help some, but rates honestly don't. If someone doesn't want to to read through the last 20 reviews, it gets really hard! How in the world can a $80 full suite at a Days Inn be disgusting, and a $60 room at Knights Inn be even worse, a $65 room at Super 8 be pretty nice actually for the price, then a $50 room at Travel Lodge be quite acceptable, and maybe they are all at the same exit even!?! You can switch the brands around as you wish actually, I've stayed in pretty nice Knights Inns, and horrendous Super 8's also....but that's the whole point!! Out of those 4 brands, I'd have to say Travel Lodge is the most consistent, far from fancy, kinda small rooms, but clean and not to far out of date, crappy breakfast. Not really what I'm looking for myself, but at least they aren't THAT bad... others...One may have a 23" box tv, peeling paint, a dripping under window air conditioner, and 3x 1" thick pillows on your King bed in the biggest suite they have, and another may have a standard room, half that size with a 50" flat screen, modern decor, all new furniture, central heat and air with a room thermostat, and 6 plush pillows of varying firmness on the bed. How in the world do both of these rooms/hotels end up under the same banner???

Consistency please?? How can I stay at one location the first night and be impressed with the room for the price, and then the next night, at another location, be grossed out with the room I get? Fortunately, thanks to my travel patterns, 90% of the time I know where or where not to stay, regardless of banner or brand...but for the casual traveler...I feel bad for them. I try to help anyone I know going to Knoxville for example, there are 2 places with Wyndham I recommend, 2 that are OK, but never seem to be much cheaper than the first 2, and 3 that I tell everyone to NEVER stay at no matter what, even though 1 of them is almost always higher priced than any of the others. Crazy Part? there are 1-2 Super 8's in each category. And both my top recomendation for a budget stay, is a Super 8, and my second worst is also a Super 8, the very worst is a horrendous Days Inn...whyTF is Days Inn North Knoxville/Powell still allowed to even suggest they have ever had anything to do with any semi-reputable brand anyway??? That place is absolutely disgusting!!!

Last edited by magnicus; Aug 19, 2016 at 2:41 am