FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Closing the External Miles and Points Resources Forum
Old Aug 18, 2016, 7:06 am
sbm12
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Adam1222
At best, you are suggesting that there is some mythical magic number of members that you think must be engaged in a forum -- Not that the number of posters is equal to the number of people who find a forum valuable. I know there are many threads I read and find valuable and don't comment on, for various reasons.But there are many forums and threads on FT that have a narrow appeal. That doesn't mean it doesn't have value.
I believe that the skew of post volume in this forum is greater than in others on FT. I regularly participate in ~10 fora here across the points, destinations and community areas. None are as skewed at the forum level IMO.

(1) Posters are derogatory/personal/mean/slanderous - people here have shown why that's not really true
We'll have to disagree on this one. I believe the people who are behaving that way are doing their best to show that they are not. I remain unconvinced.
(2) There tend to be a dozen or so very active posters - that applies to a lot of forums
Not to the same proportions, and not in the same way. When it is the same few people answering the questions of newbies or otherwise contributing to creating a wider platform of knowledge and information that's a valuable performance by a narrow group. When that same few people just create an echo chamber to amplify their views.

And that's really the difference. Creating an echo chamber that stifles true discussion and only supports one view of any given topic is not valuable. I believe the discussion of the bloggers has, for the most part, gone off the deep end in this case.

The argument that it is repetitive just like the Information Desk is a view I particularly oppose. That is an environment specifically designed to invite new members in and help them learn. It adds value to the community by growing it and helping to shepherd new conversations along, letting people dip a toe in without facing the typically unfriendly and brash "welcome" often aimed at new members by those who have been around for a while. New members into the EM&PR forum receive quite a different welcome; it is not pretty.

(3) It isn't of value - Lots of people have made cogent arguments disagreeing.
I believe that some of the discussions are of value. I also believe that there is no need for a dedicated forum to house them. As mentioned several times the useful discussions are easily placed elsewhere within the structure of FT without requiring this haven for what often comes across as thinly veiled personal attacks carefully constructed to toe the FT T&C line. I've been around these parts for 15+ years now; it is not all that hard to see what's happening on that front IMO.

the person who is trying to shut down speech
Please do not try to make this a "Free Speech" argument. That's not going to end well.

Originally Posted by skunker
TPG claims to have over 1 million likes on Facebook which is orders of magnitude over other popular blogs. You don't think there should be a discussion of how TPG got those likes and why we see TPG ads across Facebook?
Not really. I have no doubt that money was spent to accomplish that. I don't see why it matters.

Originally Posted by skunker
As a blogger yourself you seem to have a very hard line in the sand about what can and cannot be discussed on FT. I would love to know what you think is acceptable to discuss here.
I'll try again and be more explicit this time:

I believe discussion should focus on helping members of this community to better explore, learn, understand and experience the world. That takes the form of
  • learning about cultures and the logistics for the destinations they are planning a visit;
  • understanding the policies and rules (loyalty or otherwise) related to the programs they are using to facilitate those travels;
  • exploring more or further afield, guided by the experiences of locals and other travelers who have gone before them; and,
  • sharing their experiences to help others similarly benefit.
There are occasional flashes of this type of discussion in EM&PR but I believe those discussions are easily accommodated elsewhere and that the larger threads avoid these main pillars, focusing instead on "blogger xyz is bad," and not in a way that helps with the learning or exploration.