FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Northern Queensland & Great Barrier Reef
View Single Post
Old Aug 17, 2016, 2:44 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Northern Queensland & Great Barrier Reef

Hi all -- apologies as I haven't found a succinct answer to my question below in searching other threads:

I am going to be sent to Brisbane shortly for a work meeting, like the last week of August/beginning of September. I probably have time to fly to Australia 2 days early, and make it up to the spectacular Great Barrier Reef for a Sunday boat dive (arriving Sat night, leaving Monday afternoon back to BNE).

My quick question is whether Cairns is the best bet for basing this trip out of -- availability of diving boat operators, favorable boat journey times, good diving locations chosen by the operators, likely weather and ocean conditions.

I know that there is diving anywhere from Mackay to Cairns, but I'm guessing less diversity and choice in the smaller towns. From BNE or SYD to cities in the north, the flights are all kind of similar in timing and cost (or I can make it to any of the towns up north equally easily, I think). Hotels slightly better in Cairns too.

Is it correct that Cairns is the best bet to go diving from, under these kinds of considerations?

Thanks!