FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Closing the External Miles and Points Resources Forum
Old Aug 15, 2016, 2:29 pm
CMK10
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by kokonutz
I feel you are misrepresenting the totality of what is posted in that forum.

The vast majority of posts are substantive analysis of external points and miles resource post content, style, logistics and reliability. Very helpful in judging what to read, what to believe, what events to attend, etc.

Do posts sometimes dwell on minutia such as missing apostrophes? Sure. Just like sometimes flyertalkers dwell on minutia such as how warm the warm nuts should be served on a domestic F transcon on AA.
I've spent a lot of time in that forum and I think there are very few posts that could be called an analysis. It's a sounding board for people who don't like bloggers, pure and simple.

Originally Posted by work2fly
CMK10, Can you help me understand why your issue is anything but one with the forum's moderation? I fail to see how civil discourse related to the points and miles blogs could reflect badly on FT. If the discourse isn't civil, how are topics germane to points and miles the problem? Isn't the issue one of FT member behavior?

Bottom line for me is that I'd like to see a forum maintained that allows critical analysis and discussion of the blogs. It is a useful counterpoint.
I'm actually not allowed to criticize the moderation. However, I think the mere existence of the forum invites a discourse that is anathema to this website. It's not a moderation issue, it's opening a forum to carte blance criticism of bloggers for petty reasons.

Originally Posted by RTW1
My last line is simply an indication I have no clue why this subject was started and not for something like OMNI. Feels very subjective to me.

And as I've stated before, why is talking about people being gay a bad thing? It's part of the blog (and FT). If it gets to be insulting, there's always moderation.
Of course it's subjective. But as for your comparison to OMNI/PR, discussion of politics and religion is a serious subject, one deeply rooted in this country's culture. I don't venture much into "bad OMNI" but I'm not going to defend it either. If you think it's a problem, make a separate thread and we'll discuss it. Saying "well what about OMNI/PR?" when it's not germane to this point is a straw man argument.

As to your second line...wow. His blog isn't branded as a gay blog and there's almost no details about his sexuality in it. It's a bad thing when it's not relevant, especially when we're supposed to be engaging in this critical analysis the forum defenders keep talking about.

Originally Posted by tcook052
It's easy enough to ignore the forum where it is now for those who don't want to read it.
I'm going to remind you of this post the next time you forcefully argue for a forum's closure.