FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Closing the External Miles and Points Resources Forum
Old Aug 11, 2016, 7:54 am
CMK10
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Closing the External Miles and Points Resources Forum

I am aware this may be an unpopular motion, but it's something I've been giving a lot of thought to and I want to discuss it.

I think the External Miles and Points Resources Forum reflects very badly on this website. The amount of value it adds is heavily outweighed by the type of conversation it generates. In the last few months there has been back and forth about such rich topics as Ben's (Lucky, One Mile at a Time) sexuality, whether Rene (Rene's Points) needs to add an apostrophe to his blog and conversation about his ignorance in doing so and similar. This is supposed to be a community website and a resource for all things travel. A forum where the conversation is skewed towards mocking and bashing bloggers doesn't seem to add to that. The amount of moderation that has to happen there is staggering. Threads quickly turn into personal attacks among the posters and posts are deleted frequently.

In the interests of full disclosure, I am guilty of this too. I've posted there many times and said stuff that I regret now. But I'm also in a position where maybe I can make the change. I'm curious as to whether others feel the forum adds value or detracts from FT as a whole.